The Miracle that is Vitamin C
Written with an eloquent flowing style, this book makes the case for Vitamin C as a remarkable medicine that has been overlooked by the medical establishment. Although the crowning achievement of modern medical science is the invention of antibiotics which cures bacterial infections, we have no antibiotics effective for acute viral illness.
Dr. Levy says this is incorrect because Vitamin C is a curative “antibiotic” for viral diseases when used properly in high enough dosage by IM or IV route.
Dr. Levy’s book makes a number of points:
1) Vitamin C is not really a vitamin needed in trace amounts, it is needed in large amounts as a co-factor in oxidation-reduction reactions in the cellular biochemistry.
2) All animals, with the exception of primates, have the enzymes to make their own vitamin C. They do not need to consume Vitamin C in their diet, they make their own.
3) All humans (and primates) lack this final enzyme for the manufacture of vitamin C, and therefore we must consume Vit C in our diet. We have a genetic deficiency in GLO gulano-lactone-oxidase, the final step for the manufacture of vitamin C.
4) Because of this genetic defect, we all have a subclinical Vitamin C deficiency making us more susceptible to infectious diseases.
5) The 60 mg dosage RDA for vitamin C is adequate to prevent scurvy but is insufficient for optimal health.
6) Adequate human “Opti-Doses” of vitamin C based on animal studies is in the range of 3-5 grams per day, and this requirement increases during periods of stress or infection.
7) IV or IM Vitamin C in the appropriate dosage ranges has been clinically proven to cure acute viral diseases such as polio, acute hepatitis, measles, mumps, chickenpox, shingles, viral encephalitis.
The most amazing evidence presented in the book is the work of Frederick R Klenner, a doctor in North Carolina who cured 60 of 60 acute polio cases with IM or IV vitamin C and published his findings in Southern Medicine & Surgery, Volume 103, Number 4, April 1951, pp. 101-107. Klenner wrote more than 20 other publications. Polio vaccine was introduced shortly afterward, and Klenner’s work with Vitamin C was simply ignored.
Because of the unconstitutional FDA ruling which prohibits Vitamin C manufacturers from informing the public, very few people are aware of this research showing the incredible benefits of vitamin C.
Missing from the book is the fact that most commercially available Vitamin C products contain a mixture of unbuffered L and R isomers of vitamin C, an inferior product. The buffered 100% L-ascorbate version of Vitamin C is vastly superior. Also missing from the book is a discussion of the Linus Pauling protocol for prevention of heart disease with Vitamin C, proline, and lysine.
I have had numerous conversations about vitamin C with other doctor friends, and colleagues I have known for 25 years, and invariably any comment about Vitamin C is met with ridicule, laughter, and disbelief. Sadly, that is the current state of the medical establishment. Perhaps Dr. Thomas Levy’s book will serve to change this, and one day soon, mainstream medicine will embrace a remarkable medicine that has been overlooked.
Reprinted from Amazon.com.