Grenfell Tower, by Ron Olden
Thank God that the numbers dead in this incident are as low as they are. I got up in night to do something and turned the TV on. Given what I saw, I assumed that at least a hundred must have perished.
But at risk of being accused of bad taste I still intend to speak out about the likely cause of this.
I’ve had experience myself observing the ‘Management’ of these Social Housing Organisations, and I can confirm that every word of what appears in this Article (link below) which foresaw this incident is likely to be true.
Like the NHS, Social Housing in this country is a phenomenally mismanaged operation, which is run almost solely for the benefit of the staff, contractors, and various other wasters and parasites associated with it.
Even if the people running this organisation were interested in doing so properly, it’s highly unlikely they’d be able to do so, as they don’t have the skills to do it.
They’re usually failed politicians, and local bullies and busybodies, who’ve never managed anything, or even had a proper job in their lives.
If a private company were run like some of these, it would be shut down immediately.
I very much hope that if, and when, the grotesque negligence that appears to have happened here, is shown to have been the cause of this, the individuals concerned, right up to the Leader of Kensington and Chelsea Council are put on trial for Murder, or at the very least Criminal Negligence.
But fat chance of that. We will in due course be told that ‘lessons have been learned’, and that it was all caused by some ‘institutional’ defect.
The worst that will happen is that the Council will be fined, creating the extraordinary situation that the victims themselves will have to pay the fine via the Council Tax they pay, whilst the individuals concerned will just carry on getting their annual increases on their already fat salaries, pensions, and expenses.
The Grenfell Tower fire may prompt memories in London of a tower block blaze in Camberwell in 2009.
Three women and three young children were killed in the 14 story Lakanal House, which started with a TV set on the 9th floor. Southwark Council admitted it failed to address fire risks and was fined more than £500,000 which the survivors had to pay through their Council Tax.